That little bell you see in the upper right hand corner of Google web pages — and which you probably haven’t clicked in a while — is going away soon, another little bit of fallout from Google’s decision to kill off the consumer version of its failed social network Google+.
Time was, that bell opened up a notification widget that was meant to nudge you into using Google’s failed Facebook rival more. It lit up whenever you had messages or other activity on the service, for example, and eventually became a notification service for other Google properties like the very useful Google Photos. Whenever the photo service, for example, automatically makes a collage or there’s any other activity there, the bell still turns red to let you know.
BGR Top Deals:
- Meet the $7 accessory that makes Apple’s AirPods sound so much better
- Wireless noise cancelling headphones this good should cost way more than $50
Trending Right Now:
- Samsung has a brilliant Galaxy Note design idea that would ‘kill’ the notch and punch-hole cameras
- One year after it was shot into space, let’s check in on Elon Musk’s Tesla Roadster
- Marvel may have hidden a huge spoiler in the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Super Bowl trailer
Google is killing off the web notifications widget it launched with Google+ originally appeared on BGR.com on Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 22:05:45 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.